BBC report on Italy scientists on trial over L’Aquila earthquake. Alfredo Biondi the lawyer of Mr Eva, Alfredo Biondi, said the trial was not credible, “This is a trial which opens on very shaky foundations. You cannot put science on trial.
Surely this is exactly wrong, if something can’t be tested/trialled then how can it be science?
Most importantly it isn’t science which is on trial but some scientists.
Who is on trial?
- Franco Barberi, head of Serious Risks Commission
- Enzo Boschi, former president of the National Institute of Geophysics
- Giulio Selvaggi, director of the National Earthquake Centre
- Gian Michele Calvi, director of European Centre for Earthquake Engineering
- Claudio Eva, physicist
- Mauro Dolce, director of the the Civil Protection Agency’s earthquake risk office
- Bernardo De Bernardinis, former vice-president of the Civil Protection Agency’s technical department
It is alleged that statements made by an advisory committee, that small quakes are not necessarily a precursor to a large quake, resulted in people failing to take precautionary action of staying outside, and lead to 309 deaths.